Do you want to know how to start a blog? Don’t worry! You are at the right place. I’ll show you exactly how to create your own blog, no technical experience is required. It’s easier and faster than you think.
When I created my first blog I had zero blogging experience. It took me a good amount of time because I had to google my ways.
I have covered another article on how to start blogging with Bluehost. You can check that too if you prefer.
What you will learn from this content?
- How to start a blog
- Why you should start a blog
- How to start making money from blogging
There are six steps to start a blog
- Decide what to blog about.
- Choose a blogging platform.
- Find a host.
- Pick a domain name.
- Get started with WordPress.
- Design & use your blog
How To Start A Blog
Step 1: Decide what to blog about
If you are part of a business, company or organization, your blog should be related to the products or services you provide or the cause you promote.
If you’re an individual, you have more flexibility when choosing a topic. I have talked about it here, but the main things to remember are:
- Blog about something you enjoy. If you aren’t passionate about your topic, writing about it will not be a good way. Because when you will write about something you will express your passion, your article will represent your passion that will make your article interesting and stick your readers to the end. If you are not passionate about the topic you are going to blog, your audience won’t love the way you expressed. Because there is a huge difference when someone does a work passionately or unwillingly. So, to give your readers great content that will stick them to the end, you have to be passionate about the topic.
- A blog requires a lot of content to get going and remain interesting. So you have to make sure that you have the capability to talk about your niche unlimitedly. Now you are scared! OMG! I am just a newbie how can I start a blog and keep this blog running with a lot of content about what I have no idea already! For your kind information, when I was here in the blogging industry, I knew nothing. But now I am just sharing with you what I have learned. You will just repeat the same! Learn, share, earn and repeat! All you need to identify what you know better and what is interesting to you. That’s all!
- Choose a niche in which you can establish yourself as an authority. Niche means something specific. My niche is blogging. I share blogging tips here so that anyone can start a blog easily.
For example, you can go to a fashion niche. Where you will talk about men’s/women’s fashion like FashonJackson or you can go for affiliate marketing niche like TheWireCutter. But I am repeating again. Go for the niche you are passionate about. Otherwise, you will lose your interest on your blog. Ultimately you will lose consistency.
The ultimate goal of any blogger is to make their blog resourceful on the specific niche. So that the readers can find the solutions to every single problem they face in their blogging journey.
- How to find a profitable blogging niche to get started.
- How to choose a perfect domain name for your blog.
- How to write SEO friendly articles for your blog
- How to make money blogging.
- 7 best cheap web hosting you should try for your blog
Step 2: Choose a blogging platform
If you want to play, you need a playground. If you want to start a blog, you need a blogging platform.
There are many blogging platforms. But I prefer WordPress. Cause it’s easy to understand and easy to install.
If you like WordPress, you have two options:
hosted or self-hosted.
- Hosted WordPress blogs are called WordPress.com blogs, which are free but limit your income potential.
- Self-hosted WordPress blogs are called WordPress.org blogs, cost a little money but give you much more control, and do not limit your income potential.
I prefer the self-hosted though it will cost you a little amount of money. But it will bring back the money too if you determined.
Step 3: Find a host
To be online, and accessible to anyone, you need server space. You can get server space from a hosting company or HOST.
What host should you use?
Select A Plan
Choose the plan you’d like to start by clicking one of the green select buttons.
Step 4: Pick a domain name
A domain is a web address. For example, FacileWay.Com is my domain name.
If you don’t already have ideas, use your name, or think of something short, catchy and shareable.
You can read here in more detailed, How To Choose A Perfect Domain Name.
The second step is choosing the package. like I have chosen the Hatchling for example.
Enter your billing information
There is some additional service for step 4 that will cost extra money. Its up-to you buy those services or not.
But You will get an SSL certificate for free. Add that tools in your cart.
Submit ”FacileWay” as promo codes to get a discount. Then review order details if you need anything to add on card.
After Reviewing the order. Try for checkouts.
After checking out HostGator, they will ask for an email confirmation and setting of a password. You have to do that on your own. After completing that task, the task of installing WordPress comes.
Why you should start a blog With Hostgator?
In the following points I will show you why you should select Hostgator as your hosting provider-
Gained million’s trusts
Hostgator is one of the most popular and oldest and award winning hosting providers that is serving more than eight millions domains with 99.99% uptime. And Hostgator is consistently maintaining their reliablity and uptime even with their cheapest plans.
Affordable hosting plans
Hostgator is offering very affordable price that starts only at $2.75 per month. They are offering a pocket friendly hosting solutions with many additional value added services for you so that you can start a blog or business website easily.
Hosting for multiple sites
You can host multiple sites in the same accounts that will make it more easy to start a blog or several blogs or business website in the same in the same Hostgator account. That will be easily manageable.
Good customer support
Hostgator will ensure you 24/7 and 365 customer support. If you face any problem related to their hosting, you can immediately contact with them easliy.
Easy to use Cpanel
I know you want to start a blog and you are scared about understing the Cpanel. But I am ensuring you Hostgator Cpanel is so easy to understand that any newbie can work with it easily.
Free site transfer
If you already have a blog, You are thinking about its transfer right ? that will cost you minimum $20-$70. But the most interesting thing is Hostgator will do it for free. That means you will able to save a good amount of money if transfer your site to Hostgator.
Hostgator automatically keeps backups of your data once in a week. That will ensure you risk free site.
Free website builder
Its very important to start a blog with professional look. Hostgator is offering Gator Website Builder for free so that you can easily give your site a very attractive and professional look. You don not need to pay for this free website builder. You will get it free with their many differing hosting plans. They website builder comes with the drop and drag option that made it insanely easy to design your site without any coding skill.
If you don not like their hosting services that the committed to ensure you, They will give u back every single bucks you have paid to them. The company is offering 45 days money back gaurantee that is quite amazing!
Unlimited bandwith and disk space
When you are thinking of start a blog or business website, you have to keep in mind that bandwith and disk space are the most important element you can not deny. The most amazing thing is Hostgator is offering both them unlimited from their starter plan.
Free SSL certificate with unlimted Email accounts
Hostgotor is ensureing unlimted email accounts that will allow you to use different email ids with your custom domain name like firstname.lastname@example.org.
SSL certificate is very important factor to secure your website. It helps you to prevent your site to get hacked by the hackers. Hostgator is offering this amazing feature for free with their every plans. Your site will get security free of cost. Isn’t it amazing?
Step 5: Get started with WordPress
To get started with WordPress you have to log in to cPanel of HostGator.
You will see many options there. Don’t be panic! All you need to do is looking for the WordPress Installer. Oh yeah! I have found the WordPress Installer in the above pic of the interface. You have to click on WordPress Installer in that interface.
After clicking on the WordPress Installer, The following page will open.
In this step, you have to select your domain name in the ”Select your domain” area. You will see the domain name that you have purchased some moments ago. You can leave the Directory blank.
In the above boxes, You need to put some of your basic information for your WordPress site. Your Domain will be your blog name. Like my blog is FacileWay.Com. So the Blog title will be FacileWay. You don’t need to worry about this so much. You can change this information anytime you want.
Admin User will be the name that you will use to log in to the WordPress interface after installing WordPress. I am gonna show that step by step.
Then enter First Name & Last Name and your mail address that has been used to sign up the domain and hosting. Then go to Install Now.
Hostgator will automatically install WordPress for you within seconds and will give you the following installing details. You will need the details to log into your WordPress site.
After Installing WordPress. By using admin it’s you have to log in to WordPress through username and password. The admin URL will be like domainname/wp-admin/
After visiting administrative URL you will get a page like this-
Use your WordPress username and password to log into your WordPress dashboard. After logging in, you will see a page like this. it’s is a WordPress interface from where you will be in operation of running your blog.
WordPress is the best for their easy to understand interface. When you will come to their interface, you will come to do what you have to do to get started. Keep patience! You will come to know step by step how to design and use your blog.
Step 6: Design & use your blog
When you create a WordPress blog, one of the major benefits that you get is access to WordPress’s huge collection of themes and plugins. Here’s a quick overview of the two:
Once you’ve found a theme that you love, WordPress makes it easy to add that theme to your site.
- Go to Appearance
- Select Themes
- Click the Add New button
Also Read. Best Responsive WordPress Theme
While themes are mostly about appearances, plugins are more focused on helping you add functionality to your blog.
If you can think of a feature, there’s probably a plugin for it. That’s because the WordPress community offers over 50,000 free plugins, plus there are thousands of premium plugins.
How to install WordPress plugins
Installing plugin is easier and faster than you think. You can see the process in the following steps.
- Go to Plugins → Add New
- If you chose a free plugin at WordPress.org, search for the plugin by name and click Install Now.
- If you purchased a premium plugin, click the Upload Plugin button and upload the ZIP file you should have received when you purchased the plugin.
Make sure that you have Activated the plugin after installing it. To increase functionality to your WordPress site ensure installing this plugins.
Congratulations! You are a proud owner of a self-hosted WordPress site.
How to write a blog post
Writing is in your blood right? That’s why you are here in blogging industry. I know you are newbie and you are scared that you are that capable or not. Dont worry so much. Just start writing and follow the other bloggers in your niche how they write and publish their content. You will get a good idea from them.
- Go to Posts
- Click Add New
This will launch the WordPress Editor, which lets you write your blog posts using a really intuitive block system.
When you are thinking of publishing the first article, make sure this article is about you. Because when you wanna start a blog, you have to keep in mind that you are going to write for your audience. Only those blogs are successful who has gained the audience’s trust.
Your audience will trust you when they will know you. You can read more details what should be your first article here.
What are the basic tools you will need to write the first article?
- Grammarly: Use Grammarly to write your article without any spelling and grammatical mistakes. This amazing tool is a must have to start a blog as your writting assistent.
- Image creators & Image Optimizer: You can use create beautiful images using canva or stencil.You can use Smushit to start a blog to improve your Google Page Speed with the incredibly powerful and this tool is 100% free.
- SEO tool: To spy on other website how they rank and what is the keywords they rank for take help from SEMrush. By using this SEO tool, spy on top 10 article in your niche. You will come to know for which keywords they are ranking on the top. You should avoid the high competition keywords. Because it will be difficult to rank for them. Go for the less competitive keywords (under 0.3), Your blog will be ranked on the top for sure. To start a blog investing in SEO tools is mandatory.
- RankMath Plugin or Yoast SEO Plugin: Install one of these two SEO plugin. Both of these tools are high rated SEO tools that will help you to right SEO Friendly article.
You can check here some basic tools to build a successul blog.
Why You Should Start A Blog?
- Make money while working from home.
- Become a published author.
- Get more exposure to your existing business or organization.
- Just write.
1. Make Money While Working From Home
You don’t need so many resources to start blogging. All you need writing skills and idea-generating capabilities and pick a niche you are passionate about. For doing this you don’t need an office set up I guess.
2. Become A Published Author
There are three kinds of publishing options-
- Traditional publishing
- Vanity publishing
In traditional publishing, You have a publisher who pays you money for your work. That normally takes the form of an upfront payment, complemented (if you do well) by further royalty payments as the book sells.
But traditional publishing certainly isn’t the only answer for writers these days.
Self-Publishing is the option where you can publish a book by yourself through Amazon or any other platform. Anyone can upload anything to Amazon. The actual upload process takes only a few minutes. It costs nothing All you need is an Amazon account and you’re good to go.
Vanity Publishing is the platform where some people will offer you help against publishing your book. But in addition, they will look for your partnership where you can do it for free on Amazon. It totally a scam. Don’t agree to do that.
Blogging & Blog to Book
There’s one more approach to publishing which can really work – though for non-fiction, mostly, not fiction.
- You set up a blog on any platform you care to choose.
- You write posts about your non-fiction passion.
- You slowly build an audience over time. The more you write and the better you engage your audience, the more that audience will grow.
- Then, potentially, you take a book idea to a literary agent. That book idea will be more than just a compilation of blogs (those things never work well in book form), but it will certainly spring directly from the work you’ve already done.
This is the easiest way to become a published author.
3. Get More Exposure To Your Existing Business or Organization.
If everything is alright, blogging can help increase exposure to your target audience and validate your business as an expert in your industry. Did you know that 47% of buyers viewed 3 to 5 pieces of content before engaging with a sales rep? Don’t you want the content they’re viewing to be on your site, not your competitors?
Here are 5 ways blogging can be beneficial for increasing your business exposure.
- Use blogging to improve your search engine results ranking
- A regularly updated blog with relevant content interests readers and keeps them coming back
- Sharing content on social media increases reach and drives traffic back to your website
- Blogging helps establish your expertise and credibility
- Use lead generation forms to help you get more subscribers
Also, Check Best SEO Tools For Your Blog.
4. Just Write
Writing for a living offers a ton of advantages – you get to choose when and where you work, and with whom.
If you want to earn money by writing online for others, here are 10 sites where you can get paid to write your own articles.
- Wow Women on writing :$50-$100
- Strong Whispers:$50-$150
- College Humour: $25-$150
- Watch Culture: $25-$500
- Developer Tutorials: $30-$50
- Michelle Pippin: $50-$150
How do bloggers make money?
Bloggers make money directly on their blogs and indirectly through related opportunities. Trickles of income from multiple streams add up to a large river of income.
These are income streams. There are 5 main ones, with many possibilities under each:
- Advertising & sponsored content
- Affiliate marketing
- Digital products
- Physical products
1. Advertising & Sponsored Content
Companies want to get their products in front of potential customers. They may be interested in advertising on your blog if your readers are their ideal customers. Here are ways to incorporate advertising into your blog:
- Display Ads
- Giveaways & reviews
- Sponsored or underwritten posts
- Newsletter/video/ podcast sponsorships
2. Affiliate Marketing
As an affiliate marketer, you promote someone else’s product or service to your readers. You link to that product or service using your unique affiliate link. When someone clicks through that link and makes a purchase (or completes a desired action set by the company), you earn a commission.
Also, Check How to earn with a HostGator affiliate program.
3. Digital Products
Many bloggers create and sell their own digital products. Digital products are great because they don’t require inventory and can be distributed quickly and easily. There’s no overhead and low risk. Examples of digital products bloggers create:
- Online classes or workshops
- Premium Content
- Membership sites
- Audio or video
- Apps, plugins or themes.
4. Physical Products
There are many bloggers who sell physical products like-
- Handmade Products
- Manufactured Products
- Retail arbitrage
- In-person conferences, classes or special events
Have a look, Best laptop for blogger and writing.
Some bloggers use expertise related to their blog topic and get paid when others hire them. Services can be offered locally or virtually. Examples:
- You can be a speaker. Many bloggers find speaking gigs as a result of the platforms they build on their blogs.
- You can offer a service to clients and is similar to virtual assistants.
- You can work as an organizer, decorator, and coke. Some bloggers provide in-person services to their local readers.
Offering services is an excellent way of earning money. All you need is skill and patience. There is no inventory cost or any other headache. Your skill will bring money to you.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through these links, I will get a commission at no extra cost to you.
How much will it cost to start a blog?
It does not cost more than $2.75/Month to start a blog with Hostgator. There are many cheapest options that will help you to start your blog with less than $2.75/Month. I have listed some cheapest options that will help you to start a blog with the price of a burger.
Why you should start a blog WordPress?
Because WordPress is easy to understand and simple to work with. The most important thing is you can use their interface for free wherever your hosting is.
How to start a blog for free and make money?
I don’t recommend free web hosting to blog. You can check here how to make money blogging.
What blogging platform should I use to start a blog?
There are many blogging platforms. But I recommend WordPress for its powerful and easy to understand interface.
What blogging means?
Blogging means discussing a topic and providing information all over the world.
Can blogging still make money?
There are thousands of bloggers who have just started their blogs and earning a good amount of money. If you can promise yourself to stay consistent you will earn money for sure.
How to start a blog without any coding skills?
You don’t need to know any coding to start a blog nowadays. Blogging is easier and faster than ever before now. Just follow the above steps and start your own blog.
Can I start a blog for free?
Yeah, you can start a blog for free. Even by not spending a penny. But it’s not a good idea to start a blog for free. Because they can erase your account anytime they want from their server. Your all afford will go in vain. If you wanna start a blog for free I have listed some hosting providers for you. Though I don’t recommend them. Because nowadays You can start a blog with the price of a burger.
How to start a blog with Hostgator?
You can start a blog with Hostgator by following the above steps. It will take less than 10 minutes for the total blog set up.
How to promote blog posts?
You can use Social Warfare as your social sharing plugin. Getresponse as the email marketing tools. To make an automatic share schedule of old posts, You can use MissingLtr. MissingLtr helps insanely to drive traffic from the old posts by sharing those on social media automatically.
I hope, this post helped you a lot and you know how to start a blog. If you wanna share anything, please feel free to contact me or leave here a comment. And encourage me to write more about this by sharing my posts.
Special Offer For The Newbies: If you buy any hosting plans through my affiliate links, I will set up the WordPress site free for you. You can contact me on email@example.com on this email address to start a blog without any hesitation.